On Page Optimization
i. Keyword Research and analysis:
Proper keywords are selected after a proper study and research on the niche of the website and product and services offered by the company.
ii. Keyword Integration
• Include keyword phrase prominently in the web page’s URL, Page Title and META Description Tag.
• MetaKeyword tags: This includes precise and brief list of important keywords of a page. It gives the additional information about the document attached like its content and value/name pair attributes.
• MetaDescription tags: It is a brief and precise summary of a web page’s content. The common format of this tag:
• Include keyword phrase once only in the web page Header Tag H1.
• Include similar keywords prominently in web page’s Header Tags H2, H3.
• Ensure Image Alt tags include the primary and supporting keywords.
• Use the primary keyword prominently towards the beginning of the web page’s textual content.
• Integrate keyword synonyms and other relevant terms throughout the web page’s content.
iii. Keyword Density analysis: It is the number of times a keyword has been appeared in the current web page. Keyword Density helps in better website positions. Very low density is not much benefited as well as too much density may accuse of Keyword Spamming.
iv. Domain as Keyword: It is better to provide a domain name with some usual keyword that may help the user to search for the content easily. As domain name is filed at the beginning of Website design this method would help in searching the content quicker.
2. Title: Title should include keyword. This also includes the title of dynamic pages.
3. Anchor Text:
• Anchor text is basically used to link the internal web pages.
• Keywords should be used as Anchor Text.
• Anchor text should be written in bold and italic form.
4. Header tag optimization: The header tag should also include keywords that related to the website pages. If an excel file name is assumed to be a website title then its cells can be taken as headings. So it is advised to use keywords in the headings of the pages h1, h2 etc. Search engine emphasis over the bold texts and using keywords in header will provide good ranking to the website.
5. Edit URL of about pages: If a page named about is being provided by the website designer it should be formatted carefully. For example: www.xyz.com/about.html.
6. ALT Description: The text in these tags is read by search engines, and the actual words must make a difference, and ought to reflect the content of the page.
7. URL Optimization: Following points should be kept in mind for optimizing URL,
• Hyphens should be preferred over underscore in the URL.
• Targeted keyword should be included in the URL.
• Internal Linking of all the pages should be done.
• Intra linking of relevant sites with high PR.
• Optimizing Long URL: URL should include the relevant keyword as per page.
8. URL must be Canonicalised: It means best URL must be selected from the given options. It means we’re telling the engines that multiple pages should be considered as one (which a 301 does), without actually redirecting visitors to the new URL.
9. MOD_rewrite for dynamic site: Mod_rewrite remove unnecessary clutter and make sure your keywords are prominent in your URL. This will have a small direct effect on rankings. Indirectly it will encourage other webmasters to link to the site with those keywords in their link as many use the URL to help formulate their anchor text. Otherwise there is no harm in using dynamic URLs or having query string in the URL from an SEO point of view.
10. Content Optimization: Following steps should be followed while optimizing content,
• Landing page should be keyword rich but not over stuffed as it can be seen as spamming by search engine.
• Footer links should be added on the page.
11. Page weight checking: Check the website pages and optimize the visible content so that there are no hidden content. Hence, achieving best search engine optimization of page or the website.
12. Minimizing loading time: It is the time taken by the website to load when the user searches for it. Optimizing the loading time includes the following corrections and measures:
• Optimizing images: Checking the right format of images like jpg, jpeg, png, gif etc.
• Don’t scale down images: Avoid using large images and compress them with the help of image editors like Photoshop.
• Compress and optimizing web content.
• Caching web pages and reducing HTTP requests.
13. Image Optimization:
• Image should be small in size, so that it can easily be loaded.
• Jpeg, PNG format should be used.
• Image should be stored in a separate directory.
• Targeted keywords should be used to represent the image.
• ALT tag should be used.
• Title attributes must be added.
14. Google Analytics: It is free service offered by Google that generates detailed statistics about the visitors to a website. GA can track visitors from all referrers, including search engines, display advertising, pay-per-click networks, e-mail marketing and digital collateral such as links within PDF documents.
• It is implemented using a Page Tag.
• Without cookies being set, GA cannot collect data.
• Setting up goals: This occur in three major steps.
1. Providing an appropriate name to the goal- It recognizes the name of goal
2. Defining tunnel- It defines the number of pages user has visited for completing his task so far. Standard depth is for ten pages but it can be altered as per requirements.
3. Provide an appropriate value to the goal- The number of times a user visits a website adds value to the goal.
15. Google Webmaster: This is also a free application provided by the Google for Optimizing and indexing the web pages.
• Submit and check the Sitemaps.
• Set and check the Crawl ratings.
• View statistics about how Google indexes the site, and if it found any errors while doing it.
• Set a preferred Domain name (for example: Prefer abcd.com instead of www.abcd.com).
16. Update and refresh Website: If a website is not being updated or it gets stale then it would no longer be a part of optimization. So, for keeping the website off from staleness it should be updated regularly such as adding and deleting contents from the website pages. It helps in picking up the pace of optimization.
17. Feeds (Creating & Updating on regular basis): RSS feeds that are used for blogging and meta-blogging should be updated regularly. It provides a good option to customers. Users get updates when the website is being updated and bloggers also get to read the contents. Providing a feedback link might help in getting good responses from the customers and readers too. It provides a great exposure to the website. Optimizing feeds require correction of grammatical errors and wrong placement of punctuations as it may lose the interest of the readers over the website.